Saturday, Colin and I returned to camp, which now holds many new and returning faces. The last few days, the newbies and some of the oldies have been reclaiming their red cross certifications--which includes different practice scenarios performed by other staff members. Some of the pictures you will find below (note: all blood/gore is FAKE).
After everything was re-certified, we all went to our separate program areas (arts, outcamp, recreation, waterfront, office, etc) to work on everything that needed to be prepared for the summer. As an outcamp staffer, we cleaned up our outpost area, fixed up our wilderness area, etc.
In the midst of staff training we had a group of Muslims staying at camp, in Chi Rho lodge. They have been coming for about 13 years now. Each year they extend a welcome to participate in prayers with them. I was invited last year and failed to go. However, I made it this year. It was a very moving experience. There were several men and several women on staff who went, myself included. Then men could basically go as they were, long sleeves and long pants. We women had to wear long clothing also, as well as a head cover...something to at least cover our hair. When we got there we women also had to be seated behind the men. As the daughter of my mother, a strong feminist, I struggled a bit with this at first. But I quickly participated in their practices of respect.
The prayers were spoken by one man, Moktar, with small inputs by everyone. There were also different physical movements, such as rising or bowing. It was confusing at first. But, again, I quickly learned. After about 45 minutes to an hour, we all sat down for Moktar's lesson. Moktar has a beautiful, soft, and peaceful voice. He started his lesson off with angels. He spoke of the angels coming and surrounding us. Protecting us. Loving us. He spoke of peace and love. Me, raised as a Christian, in the midst of our country and culture, and finding myself in a Muslim congregation, I felt tears stream down my face. These were some of the kindest, most gentle people I have yet met. I wish that everyone could have heard him speak. He spoke, later, about things like, "unplugging our cell phones and plugging in our hearts," and, "if we were to cross the pastures of paradise, stop. Stop and graze."
The whole experience was very peaceful. I would encourage anyone to learn more about our Muslim brothers and sisters.
A few days ago now, the outcamp staff took off on their first overnight together. There are two men and three women; Steve, Matty, Samantha, Courtney, and myself. When we do this overnight, it is usually just a few miles out of a site that we drive to. We get to know each other a bit more in the trail sense, as we will be leading trips one on one with another at some point in the summer. We also talk about vespers, or lessons based off of the theme that we have. It was a wonderful 24 hours with my co-leaders.
So now we fall on Thursday. We have just days, hours until everything must be set and ready. I leave for daycamp in Brighton, NY on Sunday. Life is good.





Sorry I missed hanging out a bit before you took off. I look forward to hearing all about your new adventures and about how your BEAUTIFUL canoe performs. LOVE the comments on your experience with Muslim sisters and brothers. I am inspired to check it out!
ReplyDelete