Day one, as I have been trying to explain to people, was like trying to land an airplane for the first time. You know what you are supposed to do, but it is going to be rough and you make it through the first day. Every day has gotten progressively better. The kids have had a fun week, and so have week. It has been a great learning experience over all. I think my biggest highlight of the week thus far (we still have tomorrow left) would be playing basketball with Isabelle. It is quite an understatement to call Isabelle "shy." She does not participate in many of the activities, especially the physical games. She rarely talks either. However, I have progressively gained her trust this week, so much so that she starts her own conversations with me. And today, finally, I asked (expecting a "no, thanks") asked if she would like to shoot hoops with me. She accepted. And the crappy basketball player that I am, I taught her how to hold the ball and, to the best of her excitement, do a lay-up. In that small time frame alone, I found the greatest joy that I experienced all week.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
This past week has brought a world of change. The past week is what we call "Week 10" at Camp Fowler. It is the first week in which we work with kids. Many of us travel to different day camps around New York. There are hardly any staff back at camp (this is the only week of this summer with this many day camps). Originally, I was not scheduled to do a day camp. However, things change. I was placed on arts at Brighton day camp in Rochester, New York. I am an outcamp staff member, so this art staff for the week thing comes as a little foreign to me. You might say "huh, she has a degree in art, that should be fine." Let me tell you ladies and gentlemen, working with 2nd-7th graders on art/crafts is a completely different ball game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment